Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Everyone is so great

Over the past two days, a bunch of people (most of whom only know me professionally) have found out that I'm adopting and have seen Loc's photo. I continue to be bowled over by the good wishes and congratulations I've received. Silly me, when I started the adoption process, I worried a lot that people (i.e., the whole world) would think I was absolutely nuts or would tsk-tsk my decision. Let's face it, when international adoption comes up in the news, or the topic of starting a family in one's 40s, it tends to bring out the trolls. A lot of people have pretty specific ideas about who "should" have children, or why international adoption is "wrong."

Maybe I'm just lucky that the trolls are keeping it to themselves. Instead, I've been swept up in a sea of genuine kindness. I not ashamed to admit, I love the attention. It's affirming that this "crazy idea" was the right thing to do.

Most interesting reaction today -- from a boomer colleague: "Vietnam. It would be hard for me to wrap my head around going there, since I spent so much time back in the day trying NOT to go there."

No comments: