Monday, October 13, 2008

Road Trip to NC

Last weekend, Owen and I tagged along with my parents on a road trip to North Carolina to visit my sister. Owen did pretty well on the long car rides. He fussed a lot on the trip back, but on the way down, he was just great, watching all the big trucks on 95.

We didn't have any barbecue on this trip, but Owen did have his first visit to Sonic. He also had his first taste of smores, sitting around Aunt Gail's fire pit.

We went to two festivals, in Cameron and in Southern Pines, and we had lunch at the restaurant where Gail works, where he downed a coffee-mug-sized cup of Brunswick Stew. It was the "modern" kind -- no rabbit or squirrel in it. (I think he would have enjoyed it even more with squirrel. The other day, a squirrel was hanging on the tree in our yard at about the six-foot level. Owen saw him, ran to the backyard for a golf club, then ran back to me at the foot of the tree and said, "Up! Up!")

Owen picked up a few more words on the trip, and he got to finally meet Uncle Dennis and Uncle Tony. But the best part was having so much quality time with his grandparents.

On the drive back, he would not allow my mom to sleep. Every time he saw her head start to nod, he'd shriek, "Ga-GAAA!" As if to say, "Stay awake! I might do something cute!"

No comments: