Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's Sunny in Mommyland

Last night went MUCH better, and today has been an absolute delight. We did a couple things to help with Owen's transition.

We kept the lights on in his room all night. He slept in there part of the night, part of the night with one of us holding him, but at least he slept, with no screaming hysterics. He was still up from 2 to 4 having dinner, but it was a vast improvement over the past two nights. He didn't get up till 8:15 this morning.

We kept things low-key today. We left the house a couple times, but didn't have any visitors or otherwise intense situations. Okay, we did take him to Toys 'R Us, which he LOVED. Grandma and Pop-Pop, head's up. We were desperate; he's obsessed with phones and has figured out how to get various sounds by pushing buttons on my cell (he called Aunt Gail today) and the land-line. And once he gets one in his hand, you can't get it away from him, so we went out and got him a Fischer-Price toy one that does the alphabet and counting and songs.

But all in all, today was a great day. He was a happy, affectionate kid today, with a good appetite. He took a long bath and loved playing with his bath toys. He was charming and well-behaved and just wonderful all day, and went to be at his pre-trip bedtime of 7:30.

I'm trying to decide about continuing this blog, which I started primarily to document the adoption process and trip. I don't want it to degenerate into "Owen did the cutest thing today...." zzzzzz. ALL kids are cute, and it seems self-indulgent if that's what it starts being.

But I do want to keep writing about the transition, and I have some things I want to write about Vietnam and what an amazing experience it was to be there. So, we'll see. Maybe the blog will evolve into something else when I've wrapped up those two threads.

Or maybe I'll just be a typical smitten and besotted mom and fill up the blogosphere with posts on "Owen did the cutest thing today"....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love hearing about everything, even the "Owen did the cutest thing" stuff :)

Siobhan said...

At least until everyone has met Owen, I think it's a good idea to keep the blog going. And I want to read all about your trip, too. So if I have a vote in this, I say, keep blogging.

titi said...

Owen Loc is too darn cute (Yes, I finally met him. Thanks!) so keep writing a/b this smart, tough, well-behaved little guy, every cute thing that he does etc. (more photos, please!). Mamas are supposed to be biased but here the bias is justly placed :):) His smile melts my heart too.

amy said...

"Owen did the cutest thing today" sounds like a good blog to me!!
He's so fun to read about.

Marsha and Wayne said...

keep on with the blog - great way to keep in touch. I look at it every couple of days.
See you all soon.
Love,
Marsha