Thursday, July 24, 2008

Boom!

Loc showed us a new trick at 5:30 this morning -- climbing out of his crib. We woke up to a crash and a wail and found him wedged between the sofa and the crib. Holy crap.

So, he's sleeping on a mattress on the floor from now on. I'm so glad we didn't invest in a crib at home and went straight to a bed, although I think we need a railing for it since he thrashes around a bit.

It's 9 a.m. in Saigon and we're off to a good start. He had TWO bowls of chicken congee this morning, with no chipmunkery going on. We're both completely relieved that his appetite is finally coming back and he's learning that the hotel breakfast buffet really is "all you can eat." He also loves these delicious Vietnamese cherries that will probably be impossible to find back home.

The fruit here is unreal. I thought I hated papaya. I had just never had a truly ripe one before. And don't get me started again on the dragonfruit -- I can't eat enough of it. Dragonfruit looks like a white kiwi when it's peeled, but in its natural state it's this large pink spiky thing, almost like a giant pink artichoke. We got one in a welcome basket from the hotel yesterday and were like, WTF do we do with this? And then Loc picked it up and peeled it! Who knew?! He even used his teeth on the tough parts to the peel. He can also peel a banana in a flash. He's very resourceful.

I guess it's the institutional care. We can't get him to drink out of a sippy cup, but he can hold a 16-oz bottle of Aquafina and drink from it like he's been doing it since birth.

Okay, more later -- now we're off to the pool to see if he likes that better the second time.

4 comments:

Marsha and Wayne said...

I am so happy for the 3 of you. When I read all this, don't know whether to smile or cry!Sounds like you are doing so well with Loc. Can't wait to see him. Have a great rest of the trip.

Anonymous said...

The bedrail sounds like a good idea! And those little doorknob covers to keep him from roaming the house at night...So many things to think about! You'll figure it all out though, it sounds like you guys are great at rolling with the punches! It's such a treat when there's a new post for us to read. Thanks for taking the time, and for the great pictures too!

titi said...

Haha!! I laughed at Loc's new trick. Bedrail won't work. I tried that & Brian climbed over it. These little guys are great climbers & they LOVE climbing. And very smart.

Loc looks so darn cute even when he cries. Hang in there, Bonnie & Ray!! It's almost over. The visa part should be easy & quick (2-min interview). SG-Hanoi flight is only 90 minutes. Weather's much cooler than SG.

My Vietnamese friends & I are extremely grateful for what you've done for Loc. Love. Care. Opportunity. Family. He couldn't have found better parents.

Enjoy your stay in SG & bonding with the little chipmunk! Oh, eat all the fruit you can. You can get dragonfruit here in US but nothing tastes the same.

Happy Cat (Susan) said...

Congratulations to both of you. I can't wait to see Loc! He's obviously a typical two year old and wow, are you gonna have fun! I just wish I could stop crying every time I read something new about your experiences. Come home safe and sound - we're all waiting with open arms! Love ya, Aunt Susie