Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Those Amazing Race contestants make it look so easy

Aaaargh.

We got Loc's visa this morning, no problem, and then 5 of us parents and Loc and Baby Sophie rushed off to the EVA Airlines office to beg to get on a flight today or tomorrow.

No dice. We're stuck with our Sunday flight. They have nothing available out of Taiwan to the US except one seat to Los Angeles on Friday, and the 5 of us didn't want to fight over who got that. (Ha ha.) How do those people on "The Amazing Race" jet around the globe at a moment's notice? Is "reality tv" not really real? Shocking.

We really want to come home ASAP, not just because we're anxious to get our lives back to normal and to see everyone, but because it's too hot to do much here and the hotel is not exactly cheap.

Troy and Christine are leaving for Saigon this afternoon for the rest of the trip (she has family there), so the 6 remaining 'rents are discussing embarking on a tour of Halong Bay tomorrow, with an overnight on a boat. Everyone recommends seeing this place, and an overnight tour and cruise is cheaper than the hotel. It should be an adventure -- I'm just not sure if it's a trip to crazytown. Loc was up at 4 this morning and screamed his head off until 8. I think he has a tooth coming in and he's not happy about it. After I blog this, I'm heading to the grocery store for some Johnnie Walker to put on his gums.

KIDDING!!! I'll wait for Aunt Melinda to buy him his first shot.

Anyways, if we do Halong Bay I'll be out of touch for a couple days, but we should get some amazing photos of it. Unless we're kicked off the boat for screaming children.

This afternoon, I'm going shopping with the other moms for more silks. If I can't go home, I may as well shop, right? Loc and Ray are going to hang out at the pool.

Wish I had better news about the flights. Sunday feels like a long ways off. Thanks to everyone for your comments -- you're keeping us going right now.

4 comments:

Ron and Cilla said...

Congrats on the Visa. Halong Bay is a place we really wanted to go, but not in the rain at 40 degrees F.

You could always change hotels to something less expensive. A lot of people have changed hotels. I think Titi did, Nancy did, we never were in the expensive hotel.

Try Hanoi Elegance 2 hotel. or use tripadvisor.com to find one which has room.

Lorraine Wilson said...

I know its hot, but enjoy the sites while you can -- you never know when you might get back over there.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date with the blog. Loc is so adorable and I am so happy for the three of you.

You'll be home in no time to August in hot muggy DC :)

titi said...

Bummer. Sorry to hear that you're stuck in Ha noi. I totally understand the feeling. Thao had to take me around Ha noi until I found new tickets w/ a different airline. I just had to bring Brian home & plus, hubby was weak from food poisoning.

I should've told you a/b 'teething tablets' (available @CVS) that worked wonders for Brian. One single dad was able to get Oraljel from a doctor in Ha noi for his 19-mth-old son. Poor Loc!! Wish you were in SG so my friends could entertain him. Be Sua (Baby Milk, her nickname) loves babies/toddlers.

Oh, now I remember Troy & Christine! She's Vietnamese. I'm so happy for them. Life w/ a toddler: first you lose your memory..then your sanity (sigh!) but it's a WONDERFUL life!! :))

PS: I can teach Loc to cuss in Vietnamese! :):)

Ron and Cilla said...

We know you want to be home, but enjoy Vietnam while you are stuck there so you can tell Loc about your adventures. Plus we love waking up to the next Loc Stock and Barrel adventure. Loc is so cute, more pictures please.
It is hot in Washington too, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to Hanoi, please come by and "swim" in Danny Phi's pool when you are recovered from your trip.