Monday, July 21, 2008

Challenging day

Today's visit was a little different. When we got there, Loc was sound asleep in his crib, having his nap. Usually he sleeps till 1:30, but that's when we were leaving, so the nanny woke him up for us. I wasn't so sure this was a good idea, but language barrier and all....

So, I had one cranky, unhappy baby on my hands. I couldn't hold him today -- I tried, but he screamed and fought me off. He was very possessive with his toys that the other kids kept trying to take from him or shake in front of him. Overstimulation overload. He just fretted and whimpered and cried for the first hour of our visit.

I sat by him on the floor for most of the time and talked quietly to him or to Ray and some of the other parents who came in and out, just to get him used to my voice. After a while, he was still fussy, but he risked making eye contact with me.

The last 15 minutes we were there, he sat on a bench with Ray and the nanny and let Ray shake his hand and give him goldfish crackers. In fact, Ray entertained the other kids with his floppy-arm handshake and had them in gales of laughter, practically all jumping on him for more. Loc started imitating the other kids and asking for a handshake, and I swear I saw a smile and almost a laugh in there somewhere.

So, not the most gratifying day, but that'll all come. A few things I learned today: NEVER wake him early from a nap, and his fine motor skills look pretty darn good. The nanny gave him a small packet of fruit gel snacks, and he kept taking them out of the packet (a silvery envelope) and putting them back in. Very good coordination.

Other highlights: We went to a supermarket today to stock up on Loc supplies and some candy for the kids, since today was our last visit to the orphanage. We're all madly in love with the older kids who can't be adopted. We overbought on candy and snacks, I'm sure, but we couldn't help ourselves.

Tomorrow is Gotcha Day. The nannys and the babies arrive at 11, and the G&R is at 2. Or is it 3? I've got to start writing this stuff down. I'm just following the herd at this point. We travel back to Saigon on Thursday to do the passport application and the medical evaluation. We get that stuff back on Friday, and fly up to Hanoi either Saturday or Sunday.

All subject to change, of course. But that looks like the schedule so far.

We'll have access to one of the parents' laptops tonight, so we'll upload some photos later on. This evening's agenda, our last "free night," is sight-seeing in Phan Thiet and a seafood dinner, followed by drinks and a little party in one couple's room.

Tomorrow's going to be a busy day, and a big, big day for us. I officially adopt Loc tomorrow. After that, he's mine in the eyes of the Vietnamese government.

I just hope he's had his nap.

No comments: